Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The Voyage Out

I saved you a seat 

At the back of the room

In my mind where I sit 

And look out at the world.

While the floor is quite nice,

I’ve removed all the walls.

We come and we go now

Whenever we please,

Along with the sunshine

And shadows and breezes.

You can talk if you want,

Or if you want to, just be.

And at night I’ll stand guard

While you learn how to fall asleep.


And in your dreams you’ll voyage out

To get lost on the angry seas

And I’ll be like Penelope 

Who makes her love a tapestry


Late August leaves its bookmark in

The edges of the forest where,

Before the dusk has nestled in,

The last of summer’s light retreats

And cannot write the understory. 

Each season has a start and end,

But seasons haven’t any—

And so it is each time our souls

Embark upon their journeys.


And in your dreams you’ll voyage out

To get lost on the angry seas

And I’ll be like Penelope 

Who makes her love a tapestry

No comments:

Post a Comment